Do you want to work for a stable, growing organization that reaches back more than 130 years? Our steel tube and pipe products have helped build landmarks and buildings in North America; Come build your career at Zekelman Industries!
Western Tube, a division of Zekelman Industries, Inc., seeks a Maintenance Mechanic for our plant located in sunny Long Beach, CA. Reporting to the Shift Foreman, this role is responsible for the safe repair and rebuild of tube mill production equipment to maximize quality, up time, rate and yield. This role requires high aptitude in regards to mechanical ability, troubleshooting and problem solving, of all areas. Such as: plumbing, carpentry, painting, welding, basic electrical, hydraulic & pneumatic systems, power transmissions, pumps, rigging, shop machines, and much more.
- Ensuring equipment is maintained following all of the defined safety procedures, and that everyone working on the equipment is following these procedures, including LOTO.
- Ensuring that all guards and safety equipment are in place and operational before turning the equipment over to the operator.
- Checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed equipment, parts, and supplies; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt.
- Monitoring, inspecting and completing reports on equipment using manual and computerized maintenance management systems.
- Reading and interpreting information and specifications from blueprints, manuals, and schematic drawings in order to repair equipment, machinery, physical structures and systems.
- Initiating troubleshooting techniques to solve quality, process and mechanical problems. Must be able to properly identify problem areas with consistency and reliability, if unsuccessful in making repairs, must notify supervisor for assistance.
- Performing all required tasks associated with breakdown maintenance, preventive maintenance and changeovers on production equipment.
- Reporting any safety, quality, operational or output issues that you cannot correct to your supervisor.
- Identifying sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Controlling downtime by informing production workers of routine preventive maintenance techniques; monitoring compliance.
- Fabricating repair parts by using machine shop instrumentation and equipment.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent, plus a minimum of 5 years of experience as journeyman level mechanic.
- Apprenticeship/journeyman training completion/status or journeyman card; possess basic mechanic tools.
- Ability to communicate in English, use/maintain precession measuring equipment and testing devices, hand and power tools, basic math calculations, must be proficient reading drawings/schematics, and installation/maintenance of various systems, machinery, etc.
- Mechanical aptitude necessary for fulfillment of job requirements
- Must be able to interface with computers and be efficient at problem solving
- Job related testing is required & must be able to successfully pass an employment physical & drug screen.
- Ability to properly use required hand tools, power tools, hoists cranes, measuring devices and testing equipment.