ZModular, a division of Zekelman Industries, Inc, seeks a Human Resources and Safety Manager for our Killeen, TX Plant. The primary responsibility for this role is to maintain and enhance the organization’s human resources, and safety by planning, implementing, and evaluating policies, programs, and practices.
- Maintain the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for hourly positions
- Identify staff vacancies and work with managers on candidate selections
- Provide current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, opportunities for promotion and employee benefits
- Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, managing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems
- Plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate work activities of subordinates and staff relating to employment, compensation, and employee relations
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as hires, transfers, performance appraisals, and absenteeism rates
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination
- Represent organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations
- Ensure Human Resource and safety operations comply with Federal, State and accrediting agencies.
- Inspect facilities, machinery, equipment, and personnel practices to identify potential safety and health concerns and hazards.
- Serve as emergency coordinator and maintains 24-hour response for corporation.
- Manage the investigation and required documentation of incidents and work related injuries and illnesses.
- Represents the Company on safety issues.
- Coordinates activities with local fire departments on inspection of facilities.
- Responsible for special projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for the HR and Safety Manager role will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management or a related field, and at least five (5) years of previous experience in an HR/Safety role in a union environment. Knowledge of Texas HR/Safety law is important.
- Personnel laws and affirmative action/EEOC requirements, including recruitment and selection.
- Compensation and benefits administration, including preparing and maintaining budgets.
- Training and development techniques and evaluation.
- Safety practices and workers’ compensation administration.
- Leadership (setting pace, decisiveness, change management, team development, ability to influence, organizational awareness).
- People development (assessment of others, feedback/coaching, delegation, motivating others, performance. management, communicating expectations).
- Interpersonal skills (relationship building, teamwork, interpersonal insight, conflict resolution, customer orientation).
- Communication (verbal communication, persuasive impact, listening, written communication).
- Judgment and thinking (strategic thinking, original thinking, judgment and decision making, problem solving, awareness).
- Performance skills (accuracy with detail, planning and organizing, efficiency, business acumen).
- Personal characteristics (motivation/commitment, flexibility, assertiveness, results orientation, resilience, quality orientation).