DESCRIPTION: Z Modular, a division of Zekelman Industries, currently has an opportunity for a Senior Estimator in the Metro Detroit Area. We are looking for someone who is highly detailed-oriented, self-motivated, and team oriented. This position is responsible for preparing complete and accurate estimates for the construction of multi-story steel modular buildings. The Senior Estimator builds relationships with team members, internal and external customers, suppliers, and subcontractors. The Senior Estimator is also responsible for management of assigned estimating personnel. This position would report to the Senior Vice President. The experience will be challenging, yet rewarding as you shape the future of design and construction.
- Work closely with senior management to coordinate full estimating services from receipt of bid/conceptual documents through formation of construction contract.
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, execute takeoffs, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Ability to perform conceptual, schematic and design development budgets, develop “Scope of Work Matrix” for project stakeholders and prepare budgetary proposals.
- Review and evaluate takeoffs prepared by estimating staff; Work closely with the production teams to understand production hours.
- Provide consultative guidance on constructability, schedule, phasing, and staffing.
- Analyze project program, design, costs, and provide comparisons, cost savings, value engineering options, and other recommendations.
- Develop and evaluate relationships with vendors and subcontractors.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of specified materials and installation processes.
- Evaluate each proposal for potential risks and identify strategies to mitigate the exposure.
- Ensure timely completion of estimates by developing estimation schedules and identifying needed resources for all opportunities.
- Coordinate with project team including Preconstruction Managers, Designers, Engineers, Project Managers, and Operations.
- Maintain accurate historical and current cost data for use in preparing estimates.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, manufacturing or related field preferred, but equivalent experience and training may also be considered.
- 7+ years estimating experience and a knowledge of construction materials and methods.
- General construction knowledge; understands specifications, methods and procedures
- Ability to read architectural plans and design documents and interpret work scope.
- Ability to work both independently and in team-oriented, collaborative environments.
- Leadership skills to shape and drive the estimation process and team performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a well-developed attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, and establish work priorities.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, SAP Word and Excel.