Under minimal supervision, responsible for the uninterrupted supply of component parts and indirect materials in support of manufacturing and overall company activity. The Storeroom Buyer negotiates vendor terms, prices and schedules delivery using knowledge of budget and schedule requirements. They will also manage our company storeroom and be responsible for developing and maintaining stocking programs for many of our consumable parts. Also, they will be responsible for managing the storeroom clerks.
The Storeroom Buyer reports directly to the Purchasing Manager. The Storeroom Buyer also has a support responsibility to all-functional directors and managers.
Specific Duties and Tasks:
- Responsible for purchasing materials, supplies, and services at the most favorable terms for the organization.
- Qualifies suppliers, evaluates bids, and negotiates prices and terms for purchased goods and services.
- Tracks purchases, monitors vendor quality, and maintains up-to-date database with vendor information.
- Prepares purchase orders by verifying specifications and price; obtaining recommendations from suppliers for substitute items.
- Verifies receipt of items ordered and resolves errors and/or damaged shipments.
- Achieves cost reduction goals for assigned commodities in support of corporate directives.
- Compiles and evaluates data for various weekly, monthly, and annual reports (cost reduction, market fluctuation, supplier ratings, budget variance, supplier expenditure, etc.)
- Monitors and adheres to recommended quality and safety requirements.
Environment and Physical Requirements
- Subjected to both a standard office environment and manufacturing environment.
- Must maintain safe practice while in these areas and wear proper PPE, when required.
- Exposure to loud noise and heavy machinery.
- Must maintain good working relations with all floor personnel, other supervisors and executives.
- Frequently interfaces with external vendors.
- SAP, MS Office, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
- ISO 9000
- Working knowledge of internal production flow and tube products
- Steel/Metals industry knowledge
- Excellent analytical skills and detail orientation
- Good verbal / written communication skill