Do you want to work for a stable, growing organization that reaches back more than 130 years? Our steel tube and pipe products have helped build landmarks and buildings in North America; Come build your career at Zekelman Industries!
Atlas Tube, a division of Zekelman Industries, is seeking an Assistant Mill Operator for our facility located in Chicago, IL. Reporting to the Production Foreman. The Assistant Mill Operator must safely work and operate machines and have awareness of machine safety requirements. They will operate individual equipment on the mill, including the coil crane, butt welder, cutoff saw, bundler, table, and/or offline. They will be responsible for area housekeeping and assist in other production operations as necessary.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform duties in accordance with company safety policies and report unsafe conditions
- Troubleshoot, solve, and communicate problems to mill crew
- Communicate quality requirements to mill crew and making sure they are met
- Maintain the offline requirements to ensure quick-change operation
- Assist maintenance in making repairs to equipment
- Calibration of micrometers at start of shift and at changeovers
- Assist in changeovers
- Inspects tooling condition at the end of each rolling and communicates the need for reconditioning
- Support other team positions and functions as necessary
- Responsible for the housekeeping of work areas
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Participate in training and cross-training of new/current team members
- Perform PM activities as assigned
- Regular, full-time, predictable onsite attendance per the posted schedule is an essential function of this role
- Leadand promote health and safety work practices as required by regulatory agencies and company policy
- Associates Degree, Bachelor’s Degree or Trade Certification preferred
- 5+ years of manufacturing experience preferred
- Visual acuity to read and record numerical data
- Must have good mechanical aptitude and basic math skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Previous experience with precision instruments (micrometers, calipers etc.) preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to lift, climb, bend, stoop, push and pull
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Manufacturing/Industrial work environment
- The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud
Zekelman Industries offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including low cost, high quality medical and dental benefits. In addition, we have an amazing tuition assistance program, a bonus plan, a 401(k) plan with a generous company match, immediate vesting and much more.
We are Zekelman Industries.
We manufacture superior quality tubular and related products and provide outstanding service for our valued customers.
We seek to continuously advance the skills and opportunities of our employees, utilizing the latest technology and management tools available to consistently increase profitability and the enterprise value of Zekelman Industries and of our customers.