Do you want to work for a stable, growing organization that reaches back more than 130 years? Our steel tube and pipe products have helped build landmarks and buildings in North America; Come build your career at Zekelman Industries!
Zekelman Industries, Inc, is seeking a Human Resources Generalist to support the Human Resources at our Sharon Tube Division (Church Street and Niles plants) and our Wheatland Tube Division (Warren plant). Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, this role will function as a true generalist, with a focus on maintaining and enhancing the organization’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating policies, programs, and practices.
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as hires,
transfers, performance appraisals, and absenteeism rates
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational
- Administer the plant’s absenteeism and S&A programs
- Maintain the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for hourly positions
Assist in the management of labor relations and contract administration responsibilities in each of
the three plants including:
- Facilitating a partnership with the union bargaining committees
- Gathering information for grievances and assisting the HR Manager in the administration
of the grievance process
- Assisting in the preparation of and sitting at the table for labor contract negotiations
- Analyzing training needs and assisting in the design for employee development
- Identify staff vacancies and submit the appropriate requisitions for approval. Work with managers
on candidate selections
- Provide current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working
conditions, wages, opportunities for promotion and employee benefits
- In coordination with site management and the HR Manager, perform difficult staffing duties,
including dealing with understaffing, managing disputes and administering disciplinary procedures
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and
administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination
- Represent the organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations as needed
- Assist in ensuring Human Resource operations comply with Federal, State and accrediting
- Responsible for special projects as assigned
The ideal candidate for the HR Generalist role will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management or a related field, and at least three (3) years of previous experience in a HR role in a union environment.
- Labor Relations, HR laws and affirmative action/EEOC requirements, including recruitment and
- Compensation and benefits administration, including preparing and maintaining budgets
- Training and development techniques and evaluation
- Leadership (setting pace, decisiveness, change management, team development, ability to
influence, organizational awareness)
- People development (assessment of others, feedback/coaching, delegation, motivating others, performance. management, communicating expectations)
- Interpersonal skills (relationship building, teamwork, interpersonal insight, conflict resolution,
- Communication (verbal communication, persuasive impact, listening, written communication).
- Judgment and thinking (strategic thinking, original thinking, judgment and decision making,
problem solving, awareness)
- Performance skills (accuracy with detail, planning and organizing, efficiency, business acumen)
- Personal characteristics (motivation/commitment, flexibility, assertiveness, results orientation, resilience, quality orientation)
- Regular, full-time, predictable on-site attendance at each of the three plants is an essential function of this role
- Lead and promote health and safety work practices as required by regulatory agencies and company policy
Zekelman Industries offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including low cost, high quality medical and dental benefits. In addition, we have an amazing tuition assistance program, a bonus plan, a 401(k) plan with a generous company match, immediate vesting and much more.
We are Zekelman Industries.
We manufacture superior quality tubular and related products, and provide outstanding service for our valued customers.
We seek to continuously advance the skills and opportunities of our employees, utilizing the latest technology and management tools available to consistently increase profitability and the enterprise value of Zekelman Industries and of our customers.